[mythtv-users] capture card for DirecTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Dec 9 04:57:07 UTC 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 6:50 PM, Rich West wrote:

> Quoting Jeremy Tietsort <jr at tietsort.org>:
>> Okay, so thanks for the advice on HD and dual core.  It sent me back
>> to the drawing board.  Here is where I'm at right now.  Any further
>> thoughts?     Thanks....
>> Video: ASUS EN6200TC GeForce 6200TC 256M
>> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
>> Memory: Crucial Ballistix 1GB DDR2 800
>> Disks: 3 - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA
>> 3.0Gb/s  (thinking RAID 5 and future growth)
>> Mobo: ABIT KN9 Socket AM2
>> Capture card: Hauppauge 980 ( WinTV-PVR-250 )
> Are you making a FE/BE system, or will this be the BE system and you
> will have the FE by the TV?
> You might want to consider building a beefy BE system like you have
> listed above, then building a smaller, quiet, FE system to put by the
> TV.  That type of layout would help "future proof" things for you...
> -Rich

Your backend doesn't need much CPU power to capture streams. The
frontend does the heavy loading when it comes to HD video, so "future-
proofing" with a less powerful front end doesn't sound like the way
to go. The machine listed above would be a great combo system as I
have built a similar machine. I'm not building a "less beefy" machine
as a separate back end to keep in my basement to capture SD content
and leave the dual core machine as my frontend/slave backend to
capture/transcode/display HD.