[mythtv-users] HDTV test & questions

Mitchell Gore mitchell2345 at msn.com
Fri Dec 8 20:30:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a HDTV capture card for OTA ATSC broadcasts.  I am not sure which card to buy.  At one point I bought the Fusion card but couldnt get it to work in linux and windows it would lock onto channels.  Even though i am only 13 milesf from the tower.  Anyways...

Which card would you recommend?  I am looking at the pcHDTV 5500 or the AirStar 5000.  Is the pcHDTV worth the extra $35 over the airstart?

How hard are these card to integrate into a working myth box with a pvr150 connected to cable tv?
is it as simple as...
1.  Create a new lineup at Zap2It. (and disable SD channels on cable that i get OTA)
2.  install firmware
3.  configure new card in mythsetup
4.  fun mythfilldatabase

Also as a monitor I am using a Infocus SP4805.  It only has a native resolution of 480p.  I plan on upgradeding eventually but not quite yet.  The picture still looks crisp.  Before I buy a capture card I would like to test the quality of a .ts over the downloaded TV shows on my projector.

Would someone be so kind to catpure aprox. 10mins of a show.  Preferably a drama show so i can do a direct comparison.  Maybe desperate housewives.  I know that is always uploaded.  If you could/would please contact me and ill give you a username and password of my ftp server, being it will be a 100mb file or so.

Thank you,
Mitchell