[mythtv-users] Configuration question

Phil Smith phil.smith at phil-home.com
Fri Dec 8 13:09:23 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, John <HYPERLINK "mailto:nesredep at gmail.com"nesredep at gmail.com >
wrote:

On 12/7/06, H P Ladds <HYPERLINK "mailto:householdwords at gmail.com"
\nhouseholdwords at gmail.com> wrote:

On 12/7/06, John <HYPERLINK "mailto:nesredep at gmail.com"
\nnesredep at gmail.com> wrote:

 My system is Mepis 6 (uses Ubuntu repositories), and I used the
mysql-server-4.1 and the mythtv 18-point something, binaries.

Wow! that is a pretty old version of MythTV. Older versions of MythTV use a
different protocol when connecting to mysql databases than current ones.
However, the error warnings usually mention that their is a protocol
problem. That doesn't seem to be the case here, but still I'd check into the
possibility that mySQL 4.1 and  myth 18.* don't work together.

18.x is the version in the repository.  And I picked mysql 4.1 because in
the course of all my Googling, I came across somebody who claimed that mysql
5 didn't work and advocated version 4.1.

Are you running mythtv -setup as a non-root user?  Are you running the
mythbackend as root?

Yep, mythtv-setup as user mythtv, and mythbackend as root.

John

Check you actually have a 'localhost' definition in /etc/hosts......I had
the same problem when I accidentally removed the line so it could not
resolve 127.0.0.1

13:31