[mythtv-users] Remotes?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Dec 8 04:39:28 UTC 2006

I've seen a fair bit around saying how much people like the Tivo
"peanut" remote, and that folks were successful in getting their
Tivo-style remote to work with Myth.  I have to agree.. and I like it,
too. :)

I guess I have to ask.. how does one really go about (1) finding a good
serial IR Receiver (buying one, not making one), and, (2) what's the
right process for setting it up?  Do you just run irrecord /tmp/filename?

I've got a hand-me-down serial IR receiver that my brother-in-law gave
me about 2 yrs ago.   I don't even know if the thing works, but I
thought I would give it a try.  Is there a way to tell if the system
(FC5) even sees the IR receiver?

dmesg output:
lirc_dev: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0

modprobe.conf (from wilsonet.com):
alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ; /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install lirc_serial

-Rich