[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 5500 setup woes

Jesse Dhillon tobor at berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 8 00:41:23 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've just installed a pcHDTV 5500 into my Myth box and am having major
problems getting NTSC channels to work. There are some problems with
HDTV also but first I want to get these channels working.

I've downloaded and installed the drivers from the pcHDTV website, they
are the v4l-dvb modules and they are now loaded although they seem to be
no different than the ones I got with my distro (Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy). In
mythtv-setup I select the input card as a DVB tuner and I setup my video
sources (one lineup for digital cable, one for analog cable).

This card displays four input connections: DVB, Television, Svideo and
Composite (the last three are /dev/video0). I connect Television to the
analog cable lineup and hit "Fetch channels from listings." I've read in
a couple places that this is how you pickup NTSC channels.

Sounds good. I quit, not without a message saying that Card 0 has as
it's beginning channel 47 which does not exist (even though I set it to
10 in the input connections page). So, after pulling the listings, I go
to mythfrontend and hit Watch TV, see the HUD come up for Channel 10 and
then....hard freeze. Total lockup.

When I try 'tvtime -d /dev/video0' I get a permission denied error until
I sudo, then it gets the TV perfectly (as perfect as analog channels can
be). Any ideas here? This is maddening! What could Myth possibly be
doing to cause a hard freeze!?

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Jesse.