[mythtv-users] IVTV 0.8.1 and PVR 500 with new Samsung tuners

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 18:05:31 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Scott Alfter <mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
> >>  I have not gotten decent quality from my PVR 500, so II have not been using
> >> my box and have not seen this glitch issue.  I have not hear a definitive
> >> response that the quality issue has been fixed in the recent drivers.  If
> >> anything, it looks like other problems are popping up.
> >
> > No the herringbone (diagonal lines in one or both directions) pattern
> > problem has not been fixed in the drivers because this is either a
> > problem with the hardware or there is some unknown way to turn down
> > the level of amplification of the LNA on the board.
>
> Someone else suggested that attenuating the signal would get it running right.
>  I've hesitated to try that since my problems in the past (with cable TV in
> general, not with MythTV or the capture cards it uses) have usually been
> too-weak signals, but if there's an amp on the PVR-500 that's overloading on
> too strong a signal, maybe there's something to the idea of attenuating the
> signal to get it to display and record properly.  Feeding the signal to the
> PVR-500 through a 2, 3, or 4-way splitter yields attenuation of 3, 5, and 7 dB
> respectively (you probably want to get (or make) terminators to put on the
> unused outputs).  If the LNA's gain level is known, you could chain together
> the appropriate number and type of splitters to cancel it out.
>
> (I already have a 2-way splitter to also feed signal to an A180, but 3 dB isn't
> enough attenuation.)

For me I had two 4 way splitters and 1 two way splitter to play with
and after a few hours of testing the combinations I found the best
results were as the following: Use the cable from the wall to the
output leg of a 2 or 4 way splitter connect a second output leg to the
card. I had no terminators so I did not try that...
John