[mythtv-users] IVTV 0.8.1 and PVR 500 with new Samsung, tuners

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 7 17:46:51 UTC 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 10:31 AM, John Drescher wrote:

> On 12/7/06, Justin Luitjens <luitjens at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>> Have you tried playing with the PCI slot that the card is in?  I
>> couldn't get my PVR-500 to boot until I had all my cards in just the
>> right slots and stopped using my promise card.  The PVR-500 has
>> its own
>> bus which confuses some motherboards (namely some asus ones).
>> Anyway it
>> is worth a shot.
>>
> I have tried everything from shielding to amplfiying the signal to
> attenuating the signal and the thing that gives the best picture is to
> attenuate a strong signal by putting splitters between the signal and
> the cable line using only the output ports. When you get your signal
> weak enough the herringbone pattern will go away on most channels
> except those around 45 + or - 3.

Sounds like something (perhaps the internal amplifier in the 500
card) is getting overloaded, as what you describe sounds like
"composite triple beat", often known as "cross-mod".

You probably want to use an actual attenuator instead of splitters.
While the splitters will drop the level, the attenuator will do so in
a "flatter" manner across the spectrum.

You probably want to hit the card at no more than about +10 dbmv
average per channel.

But that wouldn't have anything to do with not booting, which is what
Justin said was his problem.