[mythtv-users] NFS woes

Tom Wright thomaswright at cantab.net
Wed Dec 6 21:19:36 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 21:00, greg at nodecam.com wrote:
> > - Alternatively, is it possible to use ext3 with mythtv? what formatting
> > options do I use? What are the disadvantages?
>
> I am using EXT3 on LVM  over NFS with no problems.  My understanding is
> that it's not ideal for large deletes (and there may be other
> disadvantages) but it works fine for me.

That's good to hear, I'll try that option then.  Any advice on block sizes to
use, or other options?

> Have you tried /not/ NFS mounting your video directory?  My understanding
> is that Myth will try to stream using the Myth protocol if the file isn't
> available locally (someone, please jump on me with golf shoes if I'm wrong
> here.)

Not really an option at the moment, I think, as the file-server isn't running
mythtv-backend and I'm trying to isolate all problems on the one myth node
before expanding it across the network.  I'll give it a go if everything else
fails, but bragi would still need to be able to record directly to NFS from
its own tuner, so large file transfers are still an issue.

Thanks for your help,

Tom