[mythtv-users] Epias that can handle mpeg4

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 17:19:57 UTC 2006

I've looked around on the list, and a lot of people are using Epias with
a great degree of success.
These days the Damn Small Linux website even sells Epias with everything
guaranteed to work OOTB.
So, it seems the time is nigh for me to replace the upstairs frontend
system which is a huge mid tower with a tiny mini ITX system.
But the one major question I have is, can any of the Epias handle mpeg4?
The reason I need mpeg4 is because my backend has both software and
hardware encoders.  One is a PVR150 and the other is an ATI TV Wonder
pro.  The TV wonder is set to encode in 512x480 mpeg4, rtjpeg is just a
little too big in file size to get over the wireless network to the FE.
So, does anyone have any experience with Epias and mpeg4?  If so, please
let me know which Epia's can hadle it, anywhere from the 5000 over to
the m10000.  The old epia800 is also an option if that works - I don't
think the slower PC133 RAM is an issue with mythfrontend, but if it
would be for mpeg4 playback, that's another story.  Also, the Epia needs
to do 1280x768, but that probably won't be a problem.  Thanks for any
and all comments.
(BTW I did search the mail lists and found nothing about mpeg4 and
Epias, but I will confess I didn't search gossamer threads; only my
local cache of mythtv mail lists).
Raphael