[mythtv-users] mysql on debian

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Tue Dec 5 00:38:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 19:31 -0500, Scott Martin wrote:
> Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 19:04 -0500, Scott Martin wrote:
> >> I'm totally confused, trying to get mythfrontend to talk to backend.
> >> When i run mythsetup the only way I can continue on is to set mythuser
> >> to root and use my mysql root password.

I had some weird experiences with the default username setup. The setup
created a user for me called mythtv, but the password was set to
nothing, so I had to go in as root and assign a password for the user.

The package also created a random password for the mythtv MySQL user.
That password is stored in /var/cache/debconf/passwords.dat

As I recall the installer never told me that password. Though I think it
does automatically fill it into the myth config for you so you shouldn't
NEED to know it really.

> >> Even after that I get an error message that asks if the backend is
> >> running which I believe it is as i was able to run mythfill database and
> >> it loaded. Also have phpmyadmin running but can't for the life of me
> >> figure out what i've done wrong.

On my system the backend didn't automatically run after setup. I had to
manually (as root) start it using:

/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

(you may want to try "restart" instead of start just in case it's
already running or it THINKS it's already running.)

Hope that helps.

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837