[mythtv-users] mysql on debian

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Tue Dec 5 00:38:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 19:31 -0500, Scott Martin wrote:
> Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 19:04 -0500, Scott Martin wrote:
--snip--
> >> I'm totally confused, trying to get mythfrontend to talk to backend.
> >> When i run mythsetup the only way I can continue on is to set mythuser
> >> to root and use my mysql root password.

I had some weird experiences with the default username setup. The setup
created a user for me called mythtv, but the password was set to
nothing, so I had to go in as root and assign a password for the user.

The package also created a random password for the mythtv MySQL user.
That password is stored in /var/cache/debconf/passwords.dat

As I recall the installer never told me that password. Though I think it
does automatically fill it into the myth config for you so you shouldn't
NEED to know it really.

> >> Even after that I get an error message that asks if the backend is
> >> running which I believe it is as i was able to run mythfill database and
> >> it loaded. Also have phpmyadmin running but can't for the life of me
> >> figure out what i've done wrong.

On my system the backend didn't automatically run after setup. I had to
manually (as root) start it using:

/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

(you may want to try "restart" instead of start just in case it's
already running or it THINKS it's already running.)

Hope that helps.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837