[mythtv-users] Transferring database & recordings from one box to another

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 5 00:23:35 UTC 2006

On 11/28/2006 11:08 AM, Azmat wrote:
> Never mind about my last post.  I realized that the new database
> format requires the actual file name in the entry.  Once I provided
> that it started working.  I think I'll just have to write a script to
> automate this for me.

Simple solution (and the only one that's ever been the
approved/"supported" solution):

1) With old MySQL and old Myth version: export the database to the
"portable" SQL format http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5

2) Upgrade MySQL and Myth

3) With new MySQL, import the old database
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5

4) Start mythtv-setup and let it update all your data to the new Myth
version

5) Export the database

Anything else you do leaves you on your own with your (possibly corrupt)
manually "fixed" data.

I went from MySQL 4.0.22 to MySQL 5.0.26 without any problems using this
procedure.

Still have that database backup from the old MySQL and old Myth version?

Mike

> On 11/28/06, Azmat <azmat.hussain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So transferring the database from my old to my new box hasn't turned
>> out to be as straightforward as I previously thought.  First of all,
>> because the old database uses mysql server 3.23 and the new one uses
>> mysql 5.0, the database entries are different and required me to do
>> some tweaking.  I'm currently trying to simply copy a single database
>> entry from the old box to the new box and then copy over its files
>> (the .nuv and .nuv.png).  I've done that and now my show appears in
>> the recorded list on the new box.  However, when I attempt to play it
>> back, I get no picture (a blank screen) and the following error
>> appears in my terminal:
>>
>> RingBuf(/video/recordings/): Invalid file (fd -1) when opening
>> '/video/recordings/'.
>> TV: Attempting to change from None to WatchingPreRecorded
>>
>> Another thing I'd like to note is that this recorded show is still in
>> .nuv format.  I'm under the impression that .nuv is basically the same
>> as .mpg, however even when I rename it to .mpg, there is no change in
>> the result.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas?  Is there a better way to do this?

I just told you a better way.

Oh, wait.  My fault.  Your top-posting resulted in the answer preceding
the question, and it confused me.

Mike