[mythtv-users] Slow, slow, slow transcode

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 02:33:09 UTC 2006

I transcoded a video today using FFMPEG--took around 3 hours for a 2-hour video and the quality was just awful.  So I tried again using transcode and DivX, same properties.  I guess I should have read up on multi-pass transcoding before trying, but I just noticed it entered the "final pass" after 6 hours of processing...it has another 7 to go.

So, I have maybe 20 shows I want to transcode so as to free up some space.

Is there ANY way to speed up this process?  The computer is not great--is a 2.4ghz Celeron with 2 gigs of RAM--maybe getting a beefier processor?  More RAM?  ANYTHING?

Or, if someone can suggest specific transcoding options that will result in a recording FINISHING transcoding the same day it is STARTED, that would be good too.

Thanks,
Pete