[mythtv-users] HD Playback Stuttering

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 21:37:17 UTC 2006

Hi,

When I play back HD xvid or divx I find that fast forward or seek
doesnt really work very well, the video stops for several seconds, the
frontend becomes generally unresponsive, the playback bar is not
updated, then suddenly the audio and video resumes, using spdif output
the audio comes back with a horrible crack.

Seek isnt as bad as ff, but its still nothing like as smooth as when
playing back a SD recording from dvb-t/s, Mpeg2 HD is slightly better.

Does myth build a seek table for ff/rw/seek ? does it do so for
recordings and other content?

I have a similar problem playing back xvid transcoded from h.264 mbaff
1920x1080 (BBC HD) to xvid with a average bitrate of 5500, in extreme
high motion scenes e.g. full
screen bird flock in bbc planet earth the video stutters terribly, i
have monitored my combined fe/be and it is not using , the frontend
logs NVP: PreBuffering Pause, there
are no errors from the backend.

System is core 2 duo 6600 2.4ghz,  video card is Geforce 7600GT using
nvidia drivers 8776 on Gentoo Linux 2.6.19-gentoo in 32 bit mode,
system has 2gb ram and video is
playing from jfs raid-5.

It doesnt seem to be a CPU load issue, neither core is at 100% when
the problem accurs, I am not using XVMC.

Andy