[mythtv-users] Help Using Linksys router and OpenWRT to wakeup my Myth box

McNally mcnallychris at pobox.com
Sun Dec 3 18:24:19 UTC 2006

I need some help / scripts to run on my router to receive the next
wakeup time from MythTV.

I flashed my Linksys WRT54G to run Linux/OpenWRT instead of the standard
Firmware. Adding WebIf  (browser UI) and wol and now I can wake up my
MythTv box using Wake-On-LAN. I've tested this by shutting down the Myth
Backed (Fedora Core 4) using the 'poweroff' command and I have been able
to start it by SSH shelling to my router and issuing the wol command to
start the Myth box and it works!

All of that was quite easy. I really want to be able to wake up the
MythBox and let it shutdown when it's not recording. What I assume I
need is some command that can be issued from the Myth box as part of its
"set wakeuptime command" which would schedule a cron job on my Router.
This command would tell the router to send the wol command at the
specified time. I assume someone on this list has written shell scripts
to do this. I don't have a clue where to start. The way I imagine it,
the myth "set wakeup time command" would have to start ssh, shell to the
router, and insert a cron job to wake up at the appointed time to run
the wol command.

I would appreciate any help with this and I will put up a wiki page for
everyone when I get it working.

Thanks!

Chris M.