[mythtv-users] Possible XvMC prebuffering issues solution?

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 06:55:30 UTC 2006

Quote Mike
--------------------------
Can anybody see why these should be rejected?  Remember, I'm outputting to a
TV, not a monitor.
--------------------------
Depends on how old your TV is.  I have a 37" Sharp LCD that I output to.
The issue with the sharp is the EDID lines.  The TV "knows" what values
won't "break it" and reports those modes via EDID to the nvidia driver.  My
valid lines are a 740x480 (480p) , 1440x480 (basically doesn't work well
regardless of it's validity), 1280x720 (720p, the resolution I read cause
it's actually readable), and 1920x1080i (1080i).  That's all EDID reports as
valid.  Now, my TV itself is listed as a 1433x768 pixel device according to
the docs.  However NO resolution at that pixel rate (thus no 1:1 pixel
setting) will work because the mode does NOT appear in EDID.

If you go into your NVIDIA driver through XOrg.conf and tell NVIDIA not to
pull it's timings from EDID, or at minimum to ignore EDID Checking, then
your modelines you mention MIGHT work (or, more likely your TV will "blue
screen" on you and simply show you no picture at all).  A bit of a hit and
miss.

Mind you, I know very little anymore about Modeline creation or getting a
proper modeline generated for my TV.  I happened to stumble across 720p,
which for all intents and purposes seems to work (although I have a desktop
size that is larger than what the screen "actually" displays that i've never
seemed to be able to fix...keep getting told to play with the nvidia
settings, but if I start clicking to change the modeline/timings eventually
(within 3 or 4 clicks) the thing goes bluescreen on me and I loose the
ability to continue to modify the picture).

As to being convinced there's a bug in the playback timing, join the croud,
i've YET to get a 2.8ghz P4 to properly sync up either recorded shows or
live TV off of an HD channel.  Couldn't with 0.19 and can't with
0.20...soat this point Mythfrontend is a nice graphical interface for
playing dvds,
managing recordings/video, and denoting which file on my storage I need to
play with xine.  To actually WATCH anything HD, I have to drop out to a
prompt, go into my video area and play the thing through Xine, which then
syncs the sound/video up just fine for me...and it's completely useless for
playing live TV.

--Douglas Wagner