[mythtv-users] IVTV 0.8.1 and PVR 500 with new Samsung tuners

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 21:30:50 UTC 2006

> No, remember that was loaded up with 1 tuner recording and one being
> viewed to simulate what would be left for the other tuner if it were
> to start recording.  hdparm is sort of mystical as to where it gets
> it's values, but does give us an idea.  I am using a promise SATA300
> TX4 controller with 5 seagate ST3250824AS drives (250MB each and
> SATA300) running in software RAID5.  Here is a non loaded hdparm
> output.

Oh, Sorry. I glanced over that. Anyways the DMA problem I was referring to
was not anything to do with the hard drives it was the DMA used to transfer
from the hauppage card to memory.

tv1 mythtv # hdparm -Tt /dev/md2

> /dev/md2:
> Timing cached reads:   1596 MB in  2.00 seconds = 797.50 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads:  230 MB in  3.01 seconds =  76.40 MB/sec

These are the numbers I was looking for. Still a little low for raid5 as a
single
non raided seagate 7200.10 sata2 disk gets around that but I assume these
are last year drives.

# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1354 MB in  2.00 seconds = 677.44 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  232 MB in  3.01 seconds =  77.17 MB/sec

John