[mythtv-users] General transcoding questions

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 2 17:25:24 UTC 2006

I gave up on transcoding a while back.  I shelled out for a terabyte of storage on my media server, so ~1-2g per TV show recorded just wasn't an issue.

Lately however I wanted to look into transcoding because I bought a smartphone that (supposedly) can play videos.  Wouldn't it be neat to watch last night's episode of Lost on the train to work?

So, I'm looking back into it.  The last time I attempted to transcode video, using nuvexport, it was pretty hit-or-miss (mostly I would end up with a stuttery piece of crap; sometimes it would come out watchable; deinterlacing and honoring the myth cutlist never worked).  Whatever the case, transcoding took six hours or more on my P4/2.4 ghz box, and even though the capture card is supposed to be doing all the grunt work of recording, I was unable to record and transcode at the same time.

So, today I decided to dive back in and really make an effort.  If anyone has any advice or lessons learned on transcoding I would love to hear them (especially if any of the above rings a bell and you have a solution).

Thanks,
Pete