[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 00:13:55 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:
> <snip>
> how is a new user a) going to know to look into the archives or
> Wiki before asking the question here, and b) know how to phrase the
> search so that he or she will get the relevant topics in the archives or
> on the Wiki?

C'mon, now.  If you go to MythTV.org, the homepage for the project,
there is a link on the left that says "Documentation".  Not only does
the first section have a section called "Bug Database" (Section 1.8 -
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc1.8), that section
contains a link to the wiki's "feature wishlist"
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Feature_Wishlist).  The *very
first* item on the "wish list" is:

"    *  Non-time shifting mode for watching regular TV, would be a bit
difficult since the frontend/backend split, but might be possible when
both are on the same machine. You could still draw the OSD if you
would want.

    this defeats the purpose of a PVR, add a menu item to launch a
non-buffering tv program in place of Myths "watch tv" item - This is
better stated as a request for "fast channel changing" or "no 2 second
delay". Current workaround is to switch channel changing behavior to
"browse mode", but actually having "fast channel changing" would
really help new user acceptance of mythtv. "

Is it really that difficult that people that are using the software
(which, last time I checked, isn't even at a 1.0 version) should be
expected to *read the documentation* before complaining aout items on
the newlist, especially ones that are *already listed* in the "feature
wishlist"?  Doubly frustrating is how the OP actually said "I know its
something which has been answered in the FAQ", which indicates he's
read the documentation?