[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Fri Dec 1 23:53:53 UTC 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 3:26 PM, Mark Hetherington wrote:

>> Money won't help - unless that donation for fixing the problem comes
>> with a machine exhibiting the issue. Devs can't reproduce the issue
>> to the extent that some people are experiencing it. Some have claimed
>> 10 seconds or even greater to change channels. Devs indicate they
>> have "normal" channel change times of 3-4 seconds which has been
>> deemed reasonable for the LiveTV feature. I just timed mine.. with a
>> DirecTV STB on my combined frontend/backend (overkill box) it takes
>> 3-4 seconds. On my MacBook Pro (running the Universal Binary
>> frontend) over wireless or Gigabit, it takes 4 seconds. On my
>> daughter's iMac G5 (also running the Universal Binary) over wireless,
>> it takes up to 7 seconds.
>
> I haven't actually timed it, but I think it's definitely over 10
> seconds. I am
> not using particularly fast hardware, and I haven't ever considered
> this was
> actually too slow.

It's about three seconds to change channel here, consistently. On
pretty generic
pc hardware, with the MySQL database on a remote system, and no fancy
tuning of the system and nothing other than regular mysql repair/
optimize
added to a fairly vanilla installation.

If I just hit a channel button on the remote, it'll appear to take
much more
(8-10 seconds) as it has to wait for the timeout, but I'm guessing
that's not
the issue people are seeing.

MySql has appalling performance in some cases, and it seems to degrade
over time, and I've seen performance everywhere degrade when that
happens. (Horrible, horrible database. I'd love a postgresql port of
MythTV),
so it wouldn't surprise me if something funky were happening there
for some
people (I'm seeing 15 second load times for the channel listing in
mythweb,
so there's clearly something very much suboptimal about the database
somewhere on my box too, 'cos that can't be right).

Cheers,
   Steve