[mythtv-users] LiveTV channel switching time

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Dec 1 21:52:50 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 22:22, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Probably nothing the upgrade missed, but rather MySQL not
> automatically keeping its tables optimized. Glad your channel change
> problems are gone! For the record, it's been recommended that the db
> optimize be run as a cron job daily to prevent such issues. Maybe
> that's why the devs aren't seeing the problem since they're likely
> all doing this.
If this is so important, why can't the backend do this itself?

I also noticed that when mythfrontend is starting, it is getting the settings
1 by 1 (I copied the first and last message):
2006-12-01 22:47:53.323 MSqlQuery: SELECT data FROM settings WHERE value
= 'DBSchemaVer' AND hostname = 'scne' ;
2006-12-01 22:47:58.422 MSqlQuery: SELECT data FROM settings WHERE value
= 'Language' AND hostname = 'scne' ;

As you can see, it takes 5 seconds to get all the settings (mythfrontend is
also doing other stuff).  Why not getting all settings in 1 query ??
SELECT * FROM settings WHERE hostname = 'scne'

Stef