[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 18:03:35 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Brad Benson <bbenso1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/1/06, Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > So somewhere in this process, either many more than ten frames of
> > video is being written, or something else is eating up a lot of time.
> > If it is more video, then someone who knows the code (read: a dev)
> > should be able to find where this amount is specified, lower it,
> > recompile and test to see if channel changes are indeed faster.
>

> True, except you're missing a couple of points here.  The first, and most
> important, is that the devs have repeatedly stated that this issue does not
> effect them.  Given that, they are highly unlikely to devote any time to it,
> let alone the amount of time required to profile the channel changing code
> and repeatedly recompile to test fixes.  You're also forgetting that this is
> not a commercial product.  It's software designed and written by Isaac and
> the other developers, for their use.  They are generous enough to release
> it, for free, to anyone else who cares to use it.  So, if you want to use
> their wonderful free project, you get what they choose to give you.  If you
> don't like how it works, fix it without breaking anything else and they'll
> probably be happy to include your patch.  Continual bitching about a feature
> not working the way YOU think it should, with no attempt at debugging or
> fixing the error, is very likely to get you nothing but angry replies.
>
> Brad

Right now the first line on the mythtv (http://www.mythtv.org) page says.
-------------
MythTV is a homebrew PVR project that I've been working on in my spare time.
It's been under heavy development for almost four years, and is now quite
useable and featureful.
-------------

I guess a disclaimer should be added after this line, "By the Coders, For
the Coders ! Don't know how to code or debug ? Don't bother bitching about
it !"

That should really cut down 90% of the liveTV and other complaints/requests.
Because as I see, any requests asked by the end user which conflicts with
the devs, eventually ends in up in "send me your patch !". If I was not an
actual coder, I'd think the devs are asking for a Nicotine patch or
something !

Its a wonderful piece of software, no doubt about it. I've been using it for
1 1/2 yr and extremely happy. The backend is rock solid and it never
crashes/leaks/etcetc. But I never see any liveTV, actually, I never see the
mythfrontend at all :-). I only use mythweb for all my scheduling etc. So,
I've no issues with the livetv :-)