[mythtv-users] More XvMC data points

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Fri Dec 1 16:42:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:22:07AM -0500, Michael Tiller wrote:

> Just out of curiosity...when you say 65-75% CPU utilization, how is that
> partitioned between the X server and the frontend?  I ask because if I try
> and watch without XvMC on my system, the X server is something like 30% and
> the frontend is like 70%.  I'm wondering if this load on the X server can be
> avoided somehow.  Then I might have a chance to watch HD natively.
>
> It seems crazy to me that with such fast CPUs, HD playback is not a given.
> My Windows machine (2.4GHz P4) can process HD streams from my HDHomerun
> without a hiccup?!?  Why should a 2.8 GHz (granted, it is a Celeron) have so
> much trouble?!?

I don't recall which video card you are using, but you will want to
check the OpenGL vblank sync settings.  using the latest NVidia driver
and playing with the vblank settings, soundcard buffer settings, and
dot clock in my modeline have significantly improved my XvMC output.

I'm running and AMD Athlon64 3000+ and a 6600 based PCIe video card.

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
kb8pym at arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM
Living life to a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack
"Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"