[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Fri Dec 1 15:07:09 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> 3.  Faster channel changing.  As has been discussed recently until we
>> are blue in the face, some people just have slow channel changing for
>> whatever reason.  If LiveTV were truly live, this could be something
>> the 'channel surfers' would be able to use to have faster channel
>> changes.
>
> This will not improve channel changing speed by any noticeable
> amount. There is no pre-determined "wait time" while writing to disk.

Have you ever opened mplayer fed by a PVR-250 in one term window, and
changed channels in another?  The channel changes are almost
instantaneous, whereas changing channels within Myth takes on my system
about 4 seconds.

I don't care about whether live TV records or not.  Whatever the devs
want to do there is fine.  But channel change speed *is* broken, no
matter what anyone else says.  There is no reason why it should take 4
seconds (or for others, even more) on a PVR card.  Maybe for Firewire or
other input sources, I'm not sure, but not a PVR-x50.  Sure, you need to
buffer a bit to disk, that's cool.  Maybe ten frames (about 1/3 of a
second) should be plenty, not 3 seconds worth.