[mythtv-users] HD 3000 OTA Scan for Channel difficulties

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Aug 31 22:28:13 UTC 2006

H P Ladds wrote:
> Hey all,
>

> The cx88_dvb module was loaded.
> mysqld was running.
>
> Interestingly, if I run mythtvsetup as the user mythtv (as is directed
> bt Jarod's HOWTO),  I receive a "Could not open card #0  Permission
> denied." warning
> in the "Frontend ID: "  section of the "Capture Card Setup " screen. But
> if I run as root user I see "Oren or51132 vsb/QAM Frontend subtype ATSA"
> in the same section. It's as if root has access to the card but the user
> mythtv does not.
>
> This leads me to believe that I might have a permissions problem with
> the HD3000 card itself. Or perhaps a mysql permission problem. Or perhps
> something altogether different.

The permission problem is in the access to the /dev/dvb tree. Of course
root can access that, but user mythtv cannot. You can test it by doing
a chown and chmod but that will not last past a reboot.
The place to make a permanent fix is in udev.

If you look in the /etc/udev/rules.d folder you will see some xx-rules
files. You need to change the group ownership and mode settings for your
hardware device socket...You may, or may not have a rules file for the
HD3000, but the format is plain enough from the 50-rules file.

Check the archive for the exact wording if you have a problem... or
maybe Jarod covered that already.