[mythtv-users] Graphics card recomendation

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 31 17:39:35 UTC 2006

On 08/31/06 03:29, Matthias Thyroff wrote:

>Am Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:59:46 -0400
>schrieb "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
>
>>Boiled down to basics, there's a difference between image pixels
>>(which are truly "picture elements"--samples of a picture at a point
>>(of zero size)) and display "pixels" (which are really "dots"--that
>>have a physical area).  The picture elements are created by sampling
>>a continuously-defined image function, and, although you can display
>>an image by painting pixels of the same value and at the same
>>positions used to generate the picture elements (i.e. "1:1 pixel
>>mapping"), you can create a much better image by recreating the image
>>function and taking more samples at different positions and
>>incorporating the additional information about the image function
>>into the final display pixel values.
>>
>But, I wonder: where in your signal path do you have a continous
>signal?

In the real world--the continuous signal is the actual scene from which
the image was taken.  (OK, please don't respond back with discussions of
wave-particle duality and the discrete nature of photons to say the
scene may be continuous, but the signal isn't. :)

Remember, the image is just a set of samples taken to represent the
scene.  So, these samples can be used to simply display an image (i.e.
the samples are used as "dots" on a display device) or to try to
re-create the original image function (i.e. a mathematical
representation of the scene from which the samples were taken).

> Do you get 1080i/p tv programs on an analogue channel in the US?

Nope.

Mike