[mythtv-users] tv_grab_au: can't get rex-1.2.4 to work.

Luke Rosenthal mythtv at harderstuff.net
Wed Aug 30 14:30:36 UTC 2006

>> I understand where you are coming from but here in Australia they are
>> not interested in supplying anything to the PVR community. Currently
>> there is one broadcaster trying to sue a guide provider over copyright
>> and another waiting in the wings seeing what the outcome is. Here, even
>> TV guide data is classed as copyright, as is telephone numbers (ie
>> phone book). I am sure for a few thousand dollars they would provide some
>>  data for the PVR community, but definately not for free. Even our laws
>> stipulate that recording anything from a TV broadcast is breach of
>> copyright, so anyone with a VCR or PVR is breaking the law by using
>> it!!!
>
> Now I understand. Looks like a business opportunity to me. Provide
> guide data for a fee and give back a percentage to all broadcasters who
> supply content like the iTunes Music Store business model. You could even
> charge per channel. :)

Ahh, but the overriding priority for the networks is to maximize their
primary revenue stream - advertisements broadcast to air.  Until you can
come up with a business model that competes with that, your ideas/pleas
will fall on deaf ears.

Remember, as pointed out by Alan Isherwood on PVRWire, our cosy little
arrangement threatens that business model by allowing people to schedule
recordings, and easily zap the ads.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news!

I know this is pushing the thread further OT, but what happens if OzTivo
shuts down?  Can it be moved to a server overseas?  Or would it be too
risky to put one's ass on the line in this way?

Luke.