[mythtv-users] tv_grab_au: can't get rex-1.2.4 to work.

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Wed Aug 30 01:24:43 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2006, at 5:16 PM, tj wrote:
>
>> Not to sound like an a-hole, but making them pay for server bandwidth
>>
>> for your PVR isn't the solution. Maybe someone could put them in
>> touch with the zap2it people and get some ideas on how to please
>> everyone?
>> I'm sure this has been mentioned several times already. But I'm
>> very confident the overhead costs in this server traffic will be
>> trumped by the extra revenues they receive from advertisers due to
>> the increase in viewership.
>>
>> So much politics is involved in protecting things that hurts
>> everybody. But then Australia in reality run by people who are so
>> out of touch..........
>>

> ...which is why I suggest contacting someone who owns the content
> you're trying to use and explain the situation. Help them to provide
> you with XML files of the listings. It lowers their bandwidth needs
> and increases viewership. Everyone wins. They probably already have
> it in XML and use XSL to build their HTML pages. As it stands, they
> see a bunch of robots sucking up their bandwidth who aren't clicking
> on their ads and want to stop it.

Brad

I understand where you are coming from but here in Australia they are
not interested in supplying anything to the PVR community. Currently
there is one broadcaster trying to sue a guide provider over copyright
and another waiting in the wings seeing what the outcome is. Here, even
TV guide data is classed as copyright, as is telephone numbers (ie phone
book). I am sure for a few thousand dollars they would provide some data
for the PVR community, but definately not for free. Even our laws
stipulate that recording anything from a TV broadcast is breach of
copyright, so anyone with a VCR or PVR is breaking the law by using it!!!

Cheers
Bruce