[mythtv-users] MythTV w/ 2 pchdtv 5500s and 1 wintv 401 on ubuntu dapper

Andrew Casper andrew at andrewcasper.com
Tue Aug 29 21:18:21 UTC 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Carl Youngblood wrote:

> I only start the players from the gnome menu without any command line
> parameters.  I'll post back with some more specific results trying to
> call them from the command line.  The players don't let me do anything
> before they hang, so I don't have time to try to play anything.
>
> I'm using an ASUS EN7300LE/HTD/128M Geforce 7300LE 128MB GDDR2 PCI
> Express x16 video card with HDTV-out (in the form of composite video
> leads).  I am using envy
> (http://www.albertomilone.eu/europeo/nvidia_scripts1.html) to install
> the latest nVidia drivers.
>
> I'm also using the HDTV-out in 1080i mode on my TV.  My xorg.conf can
> be seen here:
>
> http://youngbloods.org/linux/xorg.conf
>
> Thanks for your help.  I'll report back with more detailed results.
>
> Carl
>
> On 8/28/06, Andrew Casper <andrew at andrewcasper.com> wrote:
>> I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if you could add some information...
>>
>> When your using mplayer, are you tuning a channel or playing a test
>> recording? What options are you using when you launch mplayer? What
>> video card are you using?

You might have better luck, but from experience I can tell you that I
could never get the component "HDTV" output of a NVidia 6600 GT card
to work with any media players reliably. The drivers don't seem to
support the necessary features. Try connecting a VGA or DVI monitor
and seeing if you have better luck. I ended up buying a VGA-to-
Component box to interface with my TV.

MythTV uses mplayer by default for playing back videos. Mplayer
really needs XvMC to do HD on an NVidia card. You'll have to
recompile mplayer with your kernel-devs installed and the xvmc option
enabled.

My issues were identical to yours and those two combined solved my
issues.

- Andrew