[mythtv-users] additional grabbers

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 29 06:13:35 UTC 2006

On 08/28/06 18:12, Phill Edwards wrote:

>>       I would like to ask for an information. Is it possible to add entries to the list of tv grabbers in the settings menu without recompiling mythtv. For example, I would like to include tv_grab_it? Can I do it by editing some configuration file?
>>

>Perhaps it would be easier to create a symlink for tv_grab_it which
>points to an existing grabber already configured?

Doing so requires choosing a grabber with exactly the same capabilities
as tv_grab_it.  Since the different grabbers all have different
capabilities, mythfilldatabase has a lot of code that makes decisions on
how to run the grabber based on the grabber's name.  This approach is
difficult to maintain, and makes adding new grabbers impossible for
users who don't compile MythTV, thus the work Stuart is doing with
tv_find_grabbers/XmltvCapabilities.

In the case of tv_grab_it, it looks like tv_grab_no is the closest
match, but there's a 6-hour offset that would totally mess up the
listings for tv_grab_it.  The other close match, tv_grab_de_tvtoday, has
an option "--slow" that would cause tv_grab_it to retrieve a different
web page for each program in the listings.

It looks to me like the most-workable non-compiling approach to using a
new grabber is choosing "No grabber" and using a cron job with
XMLTV/"mythfilldatabase --file".

Mike