[mythtv-users] Anyone used a PCHD card in or near Atlanta, GA?

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Aug 29 01:31:04 UTC 2006

On 8/28/06, Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:
> Richard Bronosky wrote:
> > I'm considering taking the plunge into HD with a PCHD5500.  Iwould
> > like to hear of anyone's experience using comcast in Atlanta (or more
> > specifically Dallas,GA) with this card.  Which if any channels will it
> > receive via cable?
> >
> Close, but not close enough, I fear.  I just installed an A180 on
> Comcast in Chattanooga.  I get ESPNHD, PBS (HD and 3 sub channels), ABC,
> CBS and NBC.  You can also tune the video bits that show up in the
> windows in OnDemand (weird looking as they are in two squares so the
> menus can overlay them), and all of the music channels, but these are
> useless in Myth as far as I can tell.  I would assume GA Comcast to be
> similar.  Sometimes I get a movie on the same frequency as the OnDemand
> stuff, with a different PID, which I assume is someone else's OnDemand
> movie, but trying to use the cable box to start a movie playing and then
> finding it hasn't worked yet.
>
> I get a lot more channels with the firewire connection from the cable
> box.  Many are not 5C'ed over firewire, even though the QAM stream is
> encrypted on the cable.
>
> Jeff.

Thanks for taking the time.  You have given me the extra push to go
for it.  I think I'm also going to carry my settopbox across the
street to my mother-in-law's to see if I can get a signal from
firewire. (as I opted for the cable card instead.)  I won't have much
time to geek on it though, so do you have any firewire pointers?  What
distro are you using?

--
,,`,,`,,
       RichardBronosky