[mythtv-users] ext3fs for recordings file system when using slow deletes

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 14:23:45 UTC 2006

On 8/28/06, Matthias Thyroff <lists at thyroff.net> wrote:
> I am waiting for reiser4 to get included in the maintstream kernel, I'd
> love to see this fs.

My understanding is reiser is only useful for large number of smaller
files, and that big files like those on a Myth recording drive won't
be able to take advantage of any of reiser's optimizations in this
area. Which is why XFS and JFS work best.

I don't know what the file size crossover point is, like would a drive
full of compressed music do better with XFS/JFS or Reiser/Ext3?
Usually the files average around 5-20MB.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -