[mythtv-users] ext3fs for recordings file system when using slow deletes

dev dev at sanitarium.org
Mon Aug 28 14:00:33 UTC 2006

Cameron Watt wrote:

>> I'd be interested in the answer to this too as I keep getting system
>> lock ups. I hadn't realised it could be due to using the xfs file
>> system. Did you get an answer?
>>

> No definitive answer. But I have been lurking on the mailing list for a
> while now, there seems to have been a few people with "odd" lockup issues
> and the ones I have seen have been uising xfs and/or lvm. Nothing more
> scientific than that. Can't hurt to use ext3 if performance is OK with the
> incremental deletes as I have 3 DVB-T cards that are often recording
> simultaneously while watching a previous recording. As I have bought a new
> 320G drive (i already have 2x250G drives) I think I will just go with ext3
> and see how I go.

I used ext3 for a long time, and the last problem i had that finally led
me to give it up wasn't slowdown when deleting files, it was performance
while watching livetv.

I'm sure there's a scientific reason as well, but when livetv programs
switched at the half or top of the hour, you'd get a couple second
pause.  That gets really annoying, so ymmv on the incremental delete
patch being the ticket to ext3.

Now i use xfs and haven't looked back.