[mythtv-users] MythTV Stand at LugRadioLive2006 - feedback & comments

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Aug 28 04:28:17 UTC 2006

On Aug 27, 2006, at 8:09 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 23:57 +0100, Justin Hornsby wrote:
>> "Why does MythTV depend on mysql?  It's only a PVR program ffs, not
>> some kind of megalomaniac search engine".
>
> Oh, but it is! We tried an embedded DB and it absolutely chocked
> on the scheduler query. The scheduler query basically is a
> megalomaniacal series of searches against the program database.
>
> Everything else we could do with a gimpy DB...
>
> -- Daniel

If someone gives the scheduler query to Dr. Hipp (who heads up the
SQLite project) he might be able to tweak SQLite to run it more
efficiently than out of the box - or at least give some pointers on
how to accomplish that. I fell in love with SQLite when my company
started using it. It's very fast for small databases and embedded
application but admittedly doesn't scale as well as MySQL. However,
it has the advantage of being completely free so you can change it to
suit your needs.