[mythtv-users] UNable to play DVD?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 03:57:12 UTC 2006

> Here is the mythfrontend log.
>
> Playing dvd://.
> Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd
> [file] No filename
> Failed to open dvd://.
>

> Exiting... (End of file)

Well, although it's not a lot, it's something.  Did you install
mplayer from a debian repo, or did you compile it?  If you can, I'd
suggest compiling it.  You can include support for the mpdvdkit
(mplayer's internal DVD playing ability) and have a little bit more
info on what's happening.  Also, enabling some verbose logging
temporarily, and for now, taking MythTV out of the equation will help
as well:
mplayer dvd:// -v -vo null -ao null
I am suggesting null video and audio output as we are simply
interested in the DVD opening information from mplayer, and don't
really need to mix in any audio/video "issues" that it may report (at
least not yet).

Launch the above mentioned command in a terminal to get more verbose
output on what's actually happening, and a decent reason why the DVD
is "unable to open".  If nothing useful pops out at you, reply back
with the full output (preferably gzipped and attached) so someone here
can dissect (sp?) the output and possibly offer some advise and what
to do next.  Nothing really screams out at me, nothing obvious anyway.
 It may just be the build of mplayer that is a 'dud' and using either
a different repo's version or hand rolling your own might do the
trick.

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com