[mythtv-users] MythTV w/ 2 pchdtv 5500s and 1 wintv 401 on ubuntu dapper

Andrew Casper andrew at andrewcasper.com
Sun Aug 27 17:38:06 UTC 2006

On Aug 26, 2006, at 11:56 PM, Carl Youngblood wrote:

> I'm trying to set up mythtv on ubuntu dapper (2.6.16-26-686 SMP
> kernel) with the following hardware:
>
> Dual Core Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz CPU
> ASUS MB (don't remember exact model)
> 2 GB RAM
> 2 320 GB perpendicular Seagate SATA drives
> 2 pcHDTV 5500 cards
> 1 Hauppauge WinTV 401 card
>
> I'm making progress in the installation.  I have successfully
> installed the drivers and can use the included dvb-atsc tools to check
> the signal strength of various channels (good) and record mpeg streams
> from these channels.
>
> The problem I'm having now is that whenever I load up tvtime, mplayer
> or xine-hd, my system hangs.  Sometimes the mouse still moves but
> nothing is responsive.  I also haven't been able to set up any of my
> capture cards in mythtv yet.  They seem to be recognized but channel
> scans yield nothing.
>
> I thought there might be a conflict between the wintv 401 analog
> device and the analog devices on the two pchdtv cards, but I took out
> all the cards but one of the pchdtvs and it still locked up.  I also
> tried putting in only the wintv 401 card and it also locked up when
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Carl -

When you say the system hangs, is the computer completely frozen or
might it just be X11. Try SSHing into the box when this happens and
see if command line is still responsive. If so, you could try
resetting your X session with an init 3 command followed by an init 5.

I've seen X go completely unresponsive when it encounters issues with
trying to use XvMC or unhappy DVB drivers.

- Andrew