[mythtv-users] Firewire and non-HD STBs

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 15:20:04 UTC 2006

On 8/26/06, Scott Alfter <mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> > However, I have been informed that most HD digital streams have sub-
> > channels that are available in 480p. I haven't tested this myself
> > (I'm really quite cheap), but it sounds hopeful. Just pray you don't
> > run into 5C encryption.
>
> Digital cable, while non-HD, is often available from HD cable boxes.  IME,
> resolution varies from 352x480 to 720x480, depending on the channel.  AC3 audio
> is included.
>
> Local channels may also be provided in this form, cropped and/or downsampled
> from HD.  Subchannels associated with HD broadcasts may be split out into extra
>  digital-cable channels.  In Las Vegas, KVBC and KVVU run 24-hour weather
> services (on channels 124 and 125, respectively).  Their HD services are on
> channels 733 and 735, while their regular (non-HD) broadcasts are on channels 3
> and 5 (which are also their OTA NTSC channels).

My HD box provides all the basic cable channels (ie the analog
channels that I could just use a PVR tuner for) via the firewire in
the clear. It's the Motorola 6xxx series that is the same box as the
DVR, which converts all the analog channels to digital for DVR
purposes (even when not set in DVR mode).

So it may be worth getting the HD box and see what you can and cannot
get via firewire and what your luck is in the quality of the firewire
capture (which can be an issue of itself).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!