[mythtv-users] Myth causing root partition to fill up???

Ivan Kabaivanov chepati at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 17:30:11 UTC 2006

On Friday 25 August 2006 12:30 pm, Stephen Sassman wrote:
> I'm not sure if myth is causing the problem. df says that my root partition
> is full (500MB). I have four seperate partitions on the drive (/, /usr,
> /var, and /home). However, du indicates that only ~100MB are in use. So du
> and df dissagree. Video is being stored on a SEPERATE drive so that is not
> the problem. I understand that this can be caused by an app not releasing
> an unused inode, but rebooting does not solve the problem. Anyone else had
> a this problem with myth??

Stephen,

mythtv and mysql can quickly (sometimes in a matter of few days only) gobble
up all available space on a filesystem.  Some facts for you:

1) Depending on your debug level, mythtv can generate an ever growing log
file.  Consult mythbackend for the different levels.  Only enable verbose
modes for short periods of time when debugging.

2) mysql keeps a record of every command executed, I believe for rollback
purposes.  These records can quickly fill up a filesystem.  I've added this
cronjob to clear these records, which hasn't affected mysql operations:

# Clear the mysql binary logs
1 1 * * * /usr/bin/mysql -e "reset master;"

This is one of my root's cronjobs.  But any user with enough privileges to
mythconverg.* should be able to do this.  I've stored the database, username,
and password in /root/.my.cnf so that's why I don't specify them in the
command.  You can do it less frquently.

You said your /var is a separate filesystem, but you didn't specify what
distribution you use.  Some distributions put mysql databases in /srv, which
might or might not apply to you.  If it does, then /srv is in your /

How do you start mythbackend and more importantly, where does it write its log
files.

When I'm trying to find what's eating up my disk space, I always do
cd /
du -cbsh *

then I check what takes most space and cd into it, then do another du -cbsh
and continue to drill down until I found the offender.

Also, your syslogd might also be generating huge files, which if not rotated,
tend to chew up space.

Just a few general ideas when you deal with lost disk space.

IvanK.