[mythtv-users] Need IVTV-0.6.3 which will compile or the modules

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Aug 25 13:54:39 UTC 2006

Andrew Kreps wrote:
> Are you running SELinux?  As I recall, the 'directory is full' error
> can also result from insufficient permissions.  You may be right on
> point with the ACL issues.
>
> On 8/23/06, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>> I don't know if it is just me or Fedora Core 5 with kernel
>> 2.6.17-1.2174, but over the weekend three of my machines, which had been
>> upgraded all failed. Different apparent reasons, but I think the 2.6.17
>> has done something funny with ACL's.. the desktop ceased printing and
>> the error points to an ACL problem.
>>
>> The mythbox failed with a '/tmp directory is full' error...when there
>> was at least 3 G available.

Selinux, like the restrictions on running as 'root' are a massive pain
in the ass when you are running a standalone system. Selinux is
completely disabled, so that is not the problem.

I always run myth as root and have never seen any ACL related events
before the 2.6.17 kernel.

<rant>
And before someone tries to start a religious flame war about running as
root,  just STFU.

I have run networked OS/2 machines here at the office for over 10 years
before switching over to linux. In all that time, I NEVER had a problem
with deleting stuff which would have been avoided if I had been running
in a restricted system. Sure I did stuff that I regretted doing but that
was not a system failure, that was a failure of the nut holding the
wheel. And if I really want to do damage I can always do 'cd /; rm -rf
*'  )Ok that will leave the hidden files!)

Sometimes security just plain gets in the way. For example, you cannot
autostart as root....why not? Because some geek has decided that that's
a bad thing. And in the context of a mythbox, it is not a *bad* thing..
especially when the box is not even connected to the internet and has no
modem!.. I do mythfilldatabase by usb key!
</rant>

And at the moment, my mythbox is down. I cannot even get mythbackend to
run, since it tries to tune to the 'non-existent' PVR tuner and crashes.

Gee must e Friday morning... only three more working days till Monday!

Geoff