[mythtv-users] mysql issue when accessing backend from a remotefrontend

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Thu Aug 24 05:38:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:53:08PM -0400, Andy Barr wrote:
> On 8/20/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 20, 2006, at 8:22 PM, Andy Barr wrote:
> > > I just noticed that my xbox is running mysql client 4.0.22 but my
> > > backend is running mysql 5.0.  Could this be causing the issue?
> > Most certainly is.
> You were 100% correct.

For what it's worth, the versioning isn't that clear-cut.

The Debian mysql 5.0 client+server+common packages all claim to
provide mysql 4.1, and indeed I was able to run a hybrid network
for a while with 4.1 on some Myth boxes and 5.0 on others.  The
libmysql packages were apparently branched so that programs
expecting a 4.0 or 4.1 mysql installation use one version and
programs expecting a mysql 5.0 installation use a different one,
and that allows unrelated (and incompatible) programs to use the
same server.  IOW, if Myth wanted MySQL 4.0 it would use the
library that speaks the 4.1 dialect and the 5.0 server would work
with that.