[mythtv-users] MythTV and a DirecTV HD reciever

Disconnect mythtv at gotontheinter.net
Wed Aug 23 13:31:03 UTC 2006

The theory is (with either the 169time boxes or r5000) that everything can
be handled by firewire (r5000 is usb I think). Including channel changing.
Google around a bit, but it looks like r5000 mods take up to 5 seconds to
change channels and getting a high-quality receiver from them is difficult.
(Not a problem with their mods, but a problem with the original units being
crap.)

I'm done looking for now (can't justify another PC plus the receiver price
yet) but here's a summary for you (and the archives):
 - 2 mods, 169time or r5000. Roughly equivalent, and both require an
interface app/box. (Linux app for 169time, r5000 uses windows)
 - Blindingly expensive
 - Enables d-vhs output/control for sat boxes (dish and dtv) which - afair -
mythtv is fine with.
 - Full as-broadcast capture/playback

FWIW I'm pondering the old hd-tivos for much less, since they are quite
hackable and I already have half of a mythtv plugin for
controlling/streaming from them. But there isn't anything that resembles
integration yet, so..

http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000/ - r5000 and needs a windows box
http://169time.com - 169time and needs a dedicated linux box

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, list at onnow.net did have cause to say: