[mythtv-users] Reserving an encoder for an external program?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 21 02:33:05 UTC 2006

On 08/20/06 21:41, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
>

>>I'd like to use my MythTv box to record radio programs from the FM
>>tuner in my PVR-500.  My understanding is that the stock MythTV build
>>doesn't include support for scheduling radio recordings, so I'd like
>>to use an external program to accomplish this task.
>>
>>The obvious requirement is that I find some way to do this that
>>doesn't conflict with existing scheduled recordings.
>>
>>I'm hoping that there's some way to schedule "idle time" for an
>>encoder in advance, or otherwise ask MythTV to leave an encoder alone
>>at specific times so that it can be used by an external program.  Or,
>>I guess, somehow shoehorn MythTV into doing all this for me.  I'm
>>running MythTV 0.19.
>>
>While not straightforward, you could easily combine the telnet support
>in mythfrontend with a menu option to use EXECTV on the frontend to run
>a mythfrontend session on your backend or another machine where you use
>scripted telnet to walk through the menus to the EXECTV menu item which
>ties up a tuner and then return when your radio program is done.

But won't that require that the EXECTV menu item execute a program that
runs as long as the radio recording?  Since Myth executes the program
with myth_system, EXECTV is appropriate for using another interactive
program instead of mythfrontend, but not ideal for the situation
described by the OP.

I'm assuming:
    a) the "external program" "for scheduling radio recordings" runs all
the time (thus allowing the scheduling)
    b) the OP has an interest in using (or at least having the ability
to use) mythfrontend while random radio shows are being recorded

If so, he will need to either dedicate the capture card for radio
recording (i.e. not set it up in Myth), or modify Myth/the external
radio recorder to send a LOCK_TUNER/FREE_TUNER command to the backend as
required.  See libs/libmythui/myththemedmenu.cpp line 1998.

Mike