[mythtv-users] Myth Recording Extender (MRE) v1.0.0 Released

Andrew Casper andrew at andrewcasper.com
Mon Aug 21 01:56:57 UTC 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Derek Battams wrote:

> Quoting Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On 8/14/06, Derek Battams <derek at battams.ca> wrote:
>>> What is MRE?  MRE is a PHP5 application that will monitor (certain)
>>> active recordings and automatically extend the length of the
>>> recording
>>
>> Out of interest...
>>
>> How does it work?
>> How can it detect that a show is still running ?
>> JY
>
> By parsing web pages that contain (near) realtime updates about the
> event being monitored.  For the 4 major sports that it currently
> supports (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA), I simply parse the live scoreboard
> pages at ESPN.com.  During the last 30 minutes of the scheduled
> recording time MRE reads and parses the scoreboard page every 5
> minutes.  If the game ends early MRE can optionally stop the recording
> early, if MRE detects the game is running late then it will extend the
> recording until it detects the game is over.
>
> Naturally, live sports recordings are the motivation behind this, but
> it's not limited just to sports.  Anything that can be monitored via
> the web can be used to control the recording time of a program.  Off
> the top of my head, live awards shows could be monitored and extended
> if there were a way to get the status of the show on the web during
> the broadcast (don't the Oscars always run late?).  I doubt there's a
> web source one could monitor for this, but it's just another example
> of the possibilities.
>
>    - Derek

Derek -

This is really cool. I'm definitely going to use this in football
season!

I was looking into expanding it for college sports (especially
football). When you look at ESPN's scoreboards for college games,
they have some script that breaks up Division I-A from Division I-AA.
Any thoughts on how to hand that?

Thanks in advance.

- Andrew