[mythtv-users] Disk space is not freed from deleted recording until mythbackend exits

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Aug 19 02:20:11 UTC 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 08:56 am, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Jim O'Neill <oneillji at gmail.com> says:
> > I just created a script to execute df every 60 seconds and ran this
> > for about 20 minutes between recordings.  I'm seeing 500 KB +/- a
> > few bytes being deleted every minute.  If my math is correct this
> > works out to 16 = hours to completely delete a 500 MB recording.
>
> I can testify that the truncation method works, and works well;
> however I don't know which of the patches listed at
> <URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1835> are in the current SVN,
> and if 1835-v5.patch is anything like 1835-v4.patch it may be
> broken. Please see
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/208763#208763>
> for my experiences with different iterations of the patch with
> 0.19-fixes.

I'm glad to read from the ticket there is an OFF switch to this.
I must say I delete with frequent regularity files 7-15+GB on
XFS and it never takes more than a couple seconds and
I've never seen it interfere with recording threads.  Something
as slow as described above, 16 hours to delete 500MB...  Not
very useful when my system can write 30GB or more per hour of new
recordings (3 HD tuners and 3 SD tuners if they are all running).