[mythtv-users] GeForce FX 5200 nVidia drivers? (tangent to previouspost)

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 02:19:04 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, Tim Scholl <tascholl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Latest nvidia drivers work for me. No problems that I have seen. However
> your milage may vary. Install the latest and see for yourself. You can
> always go back.

The latest drivers work for me as well... the only issue I've run into with
the 1.0-8762 package is its lack of DGA support.  I fought with SNES9x for a
while before I realized that NVIDIA removed DGA support from the driver (due
to x.org's drop of the DGA interface).  SNES9x would run in a window, but
not full screen.  It uses DGA extensions for that.  I eventually switched to
ZSNES.

Any applications that are intended to work with DGA will fail using the
newer drivers... but then again, like NVIDIA and x.org say, there are more
efficient methods of using the video card.  OpenGL and SDL are fine
alternatives.

Something to keep in mind...

- Joe