[mythtv-users] commercial detection always cuts off end of Colbert Report

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 01:25:20 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> I continue to think that the right answer to these and many other
> special case problems is not cleverer general heuristics, but
> a collaboration system that allows individuals to come up with
> specific tricks for specific shows and publish those tricks out
> to the community.

I disagree to a certain extent.  I know three shows in particular:
Pardon the Interruption, The Daily Show, and Colbert Report all
experience this behavior.  Essentially all the shows I watch that will
come back for 60-120 seconds and before rolling final credits.

It would seem that the commercial detection code could have special
rules for these shows and others identified by users to adjust its
methods during the last 5 minutes of a show.  I am not a coder by any
strech, by the commercial detection could probably be show-aware, and
do different things to shows that are IDed as being problematic.

Of course, as I said, I am not a coder; perhaps much easier said than done.