[mythtv-users] OT: top/bottom/side posting - WAS Re: When is .20 coming?

WJCarpenter bill-mythtv at carpenter.org
Fri Aug 18 20:05:56 UTC 2006

> My apologies, but etiquette is "The practices and forms prescribed by
> social convention or by authority." (yay, Dictionary.com!)
> Etiquette is a social rule, not a personal opinion.  On this list,
> etiquette is spelled out at:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette#MythTV-users_specific_etiquette

Heh, if you're going to play that card, let me remind you that a Wiki is neither a register of
social convention nor any kind of authority.  It's just a matter of someone with enough
ambition to type in their opinion. :-)

Perhaps someone would like to collect some data on "practices" of this mailing list by
sampling past traffic and telling us quantitatively what people have been doing.  Either
people top-post only occasionally (in which case the top-post-haters should maybe get over it)
or they do it a lot, in which case it is exactly a "practice and form prescribed by social
convention" (in which case the top-post-haters should maybe get over it).

Me?  I just want you to get to the meat of your response within the first screen so my lazy
self doesn't have to hit the space bar to scroll down just to see if you're saying anything
worth reading.

Good examples are good education.  Repetitive whining about arbitrary rules is not, even when
guarded by words like "please".  Thank you.