[mythtv-users] Disk space is not freed from deleted recording until mythbackend exits

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 17 00:33:44 UTC 2006

On 08/15/2006 10:06 PM, Jim O'Neill wrote:

>I've been having a problem for about two to three weeks now where the
>space from a recording manually deleted from within mythfrontend is not
>returned to the system until i exit mythbackend.  It was working prior
>to this.   The recording appears to be deleted according to mythfrontend
>and the file system but myth and df do not show the space being
>returned.  The file system is used by mythtv alone and only for
>recordings.  As a test i have deleted a recording from konqueror and
>space is returned after a few moments without exiting konqueror but i
>have no clue as to whether this test has any validity.
>
>I've found one thread on the list mentioning similar symptoms but in
>that case having mythbackend and mythfrontend running on different boxes
>was determined to be a contributing factor and i'm running both on the
>same box.
>
>I'd appreciate any insight anyone can share that may lead to a solution.

In SVN trunk, due to the new feature that performs deletes in chunks (to
prevent I/O starvation), you won't see the disk space show up for quite
some time--unless you stop mythbackend (which, BTW, should result in a
flurry of I/O activity as the delete is completed in one chunk on
killing mythbackend).  So, if you're using SVN trunk, delete a video and
check your disk space in a few hours and think of all the benefits
you'll reap from the quicker response times in the GUI after deletion,
the lack of prebuffering pauses due to deletion/autoexpiration, and the
lack of recording errors/artifacts from I/O starvation during recording.

Mike