[mythtv-users] Choosing a HDTV for myth usage

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Aug 16 14:57:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 20:22 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> given this information... are modelines portable among graphics cards
> and vga/dvi?

Not entirely. Some graphics cards (unfortunately probably including
those on all but maybe the highest end laptops) won't have enough memory
for HD modelines. The modeline is also not the only setting that is
involved, there are driver settings as well which may not port exactly
from one card to another.

One last thing that I bumped into is, my TV would not accept an HD
modeline through the VGA connector. I wasted a lot of time and effort
before realizing this. It only worked through an HDMI connection. Unless
your laptop has a DVI-out connector, you probably won't be able to use
it for testing in any case (assuming that what you had in mind was
bringing your laptop to the store).

I would say that having a known working modeline is likely to make the
display side of things a whole lot easier, but is not by itself
sufficient. If you happen to be good at fiddling with X, this may not
even matter to you. All I know for sure is that having to generate a
modeline from scratch was a huge headache for me.

--Greg