[mythtv-users] Babelbox: A potentially useful new low-cost frontend?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 05:56:43 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/06, Luke Rosenthal <mythtv at harderstuff.net> wrote:
> > While we're on the topic of Myth on Xbox running slowly, how slow is
> > slowly?  Can the Xbox have more ram installed?
>
> I've got an XBox here running MythFrontend on Xebian 1.1.4, and it
> runs just fine.
>
> Admittedly, it's using the QT painter (As the driver doesn't support
> OpenGL) which makes it a fair bit slower, but once it's got enough of
> a buffer streaming the video from the backend (Which takes around a
> second at the beginning of the file) you can play and seek around as
> if it were local. It's not quite as fast as the local frontend on my
> backend box, but it's close. The major delays are caused by heavy
> network traffic (Opening "Recorded programs" (1.5 sec) or MythVideo (3
> sec) are the main problem areas, and MythVideo I use the FileSystem
> Gallery view, hence the slowness over the NFS link)

I second everything here.  Yes, there is a pause when you go to a
recording, and when you exit playback, there is some work done to
repaint the screen, but as for something to use to *watch* mythTV
recordings, you can't beat it.  Although it is big and bulky and
noisey if you don't change the fan. :)