[mythtv-users] WinTV PVR-250 vs 350

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Aug 15 21:08:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 14:55 -0500, David Schmidt wrote:
> There's absolutely no reason to choose the higher priced 250 over the
> 150, unless you can pick up a 250 cheaper used or on clearance.
Not true, NTSC closed captioning isn't working with the 150 and the
250 creates a higher quality capture. The capture quality is improving
with the 150/500 cards and someday the ivtv driver might support
caption embedding on the 150/500, but for now 250 is the way to go
if you want captions or want the best quality analog capture.

As for the 350, I wouldn't recommend it. The video output does look
nice, and does so without the tweaking and careful driver selection
you need to do to get the same quality from an nvidia card. But there
are many problems with 350 playback in MythTV, and they are not likely
to be fixed since no active MythTV developers are using the PVR-350
video output functionality.

-- Daniel